Havertys Furniture - $5700 at Havertys gets you a dangerous glued-together dining set that falls apart

Update added by user Jan 26, 2013

Wanted to mention that when the table's pedestal leg first came apart, it was only held together by glue. No other fasteners kept it together...sheer lunacy and gross negligence on behalf of whoever built this dining set IMO.

Original review posted by user Jan 26, 2013

Bought a brand new dining room set (table, 6 chairs, china cabinet, table pad) at Atlanta Northpoint Havertys in 2000.

Years later, one of the table's pedestal legs split apart, causing one end of the table to fall to the ground! Thank goodness we weren't eating a Thanksgiving dinner on it and that nobody was hurt when it happened. I repaired it myself by bolting the broken pieces together. Observe in a photo that another split is forming on a pedestal leg...I just discovered that b/c I took pictures to document this...jeez, thank goodness that didn't fail over our last Thanksgiving dinner!

Then just a few weeks ago a trim piece from the china cabinet fell off all by itself. Again, the piece was only held by glue. At least that wasn't a load-bearing piece where someone could get hurt.

But then today my 8-month pregnant wife was getting up out of a chair, when one of the back legs split apart. Holy ***! Thank goodness she caught herself just in time and didn't injure herself or our unborn baby. Looking at the photo, you can see where that is not splintered wood, it is a cleanly defined manufacturing splice that is only held together with glue.

I've never seen this before...who the *** glues chair legs together?? Especially in a pricy dining room set! Looking at all of the other chair legs, many of them are the same. In the photo where I'm pointing, you can see one leg with multiple seams.

This dining set is nothing but dangerous, maybe even deadly! My pregnant wife was in a position where she could have hit the back of her head on the sharp corner of the china cabinet, had she not caught herself in time.

I was so mad that I threw all our other Haverty's furniture (a pricey sofa table and coffee table) out the back door and broke them to smithereens. I would do the same to the dining set if I could do so on my own.

When we first bought this set, we expected it to last us a lifetime. Now we want this dangerous *** out of our house ASAP.

As I typed this, this website showed an advertisement for Havertys at the top. Thanks for the salt in the wound.

My Havertys invoice number is 1412274 dated 4/29/00 and we have the same contact info, if someone from Havertys wants to contact us.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 9 Yes 9 27 No 27
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 22, 2014 #888490 Brookeville, Maryland

Well good for you. Let it out! If I could do it, I would. I went into debt buying those *** furnitures from Havertys. I might as well make the most out of it. I pray that the company shuts down because they do not have a morsel of social responsibility and concern about the public. Their motto is "Let's Just Continue the Rip-off!" for as long as we can get the public to buy. Someone should raised this to Consumer Affairs Department and come to think of it I definitely will.

0 0 Reply

Feb 11, 2013 #607095 Orlando, Florida

Well did you get the guardsman protection plan with that purchase. That would of been covered under the protection plan

0 0 Reply
Frustrated by lack of knowledg

Jan 29, 2013 #600976

Gotta say, I didn't read the excess and I don't work for Havertys. But I know a little about furniture, the picture was obvious, and with a little research, you wouldn't have needed to b*tch this long either. HARD WOOD CRACKS...which is caused by humidity. That's all there is to it. If you have humidity, the grains expand and contract and on RARE occasion, actually split. So your complaint may need to have been better placed on mother nature instead of some retailer that was just trying to make ya happy after 13 years ago. Wished our bodies held up that well after that long. Just sayin'.

0 1 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Havertys Furniture. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Havertys Furniture.
Filing a new complaint about