Havertys Furniture - $5700 at Havertys gets you a dangerous glued-together dining set that falls apart
Update added by user Jan 26, 2013
Wanted to mention that when the table's pedestal leg first came apart, it was only held together by glue. No other fasteners kept it together...sheer lunacy and gross negligence on behalf of whoever built this dining set IMO.
Original review posted by user Jan 26, 2013
Bought a brand new dining room set (table, 6 chairs, china cabinet, table pad) at Atlanta Northpoint Havertys in 2000.
Years later, one of the table's pedestal legs split apart, causing one end of the table to fall to the ground! Thank goodness we weren't eating a Thanksgiving dinner on it and that nobody was hurt when it happened. I repaired it myself by bolting the broken pieces together. Observe in a photo that another split is forming on a pedestal leg...I just discovered that b/c I took pictures to document this...jeez, thank goodness that didn't fail over our last Thanksgiving dinner!
Then just a few weeks ago a trim piece from the china cabinet fell off all by itself. Again, the piece was only held by glue. At least that wasn't a load-bearing piece where someone could get hurt.
But then today my 8-month pregnant wife was getting up out of a chair, when one of the back legs split apart. Holy ***! Thank goodness she caught herself just in time and didn't injure herself or our unborn baby. Looking at the photo, you can see where that is not splintered wood, it is a cleanly defined manufacturing splice that is only held together with glue.
I've never seen this before...who the *** glues chair legs together?? Especially in a pricy dining room set! Looking at all of the other chair legs, many of them are the same. In the photo where I'm pointing, you can see one leg with multiple seams.
This dining set is nothing but dangerous, maybe even deadly! My pregnant wife was in a position where she could have hit the back of her head on the sharp corner of the china cabinet, had she not caught herself in time.
I was so mad that I threw all our other Haverty's furniture (a pricey sofa table and coffee table) out the back door and broke them to smithereens. I would do the same to the dining set if I could do so on my own.
When we first bought this set, we expected it to last us a lifetime. Now we want this dangerous *** out of our house ASAP.
As I typed this, this website showed an advertisement for Havertys at the top. Thanks for the salt in the wound.
My Havertys invoice number is 1412274 dated 4/29/00 and we have the same contact info, if someone from Havertys wants to contact us.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
You May Also Like
- "My pillow.com claims if you buy one you get one free. That's a bunch of BS !!! You can get the same my pillow at Wal mart..."
- "I bought a reclining Peyton couch in 2014. This is the second time in two years that the dye has started to come off the couch. The first time it..."
- "Purchased the piece of furniture in 2008 in the Jacksonville Florida store. We were told that it would last us a lifetime. We were also told that the extended 5..."
- "When I purchased my phone and protection plan, you told me the process to exchange it should it break would be simple and it was..... Now I go in and..."
- "This was my first experience with the service department. I am not complaining about how they serviced or customer service . I am rating this poor because my car had..."
- "I was cold contacted by a door-to-door salesman about siding installation. He said they had installed siding for a neighbor behind us (not true) and asked if I wanted an..."
- "I bought a couch from the Gardner White on Hall Road on Friday, October 21st. I scheduled a 4pm-11pm delivery for today, October 25th, since it was the earliest they..."
- "Upon arriving in Nacogdoches, I checked my phone, Days Inn, fairly close, reasonably priced, ok why not. The young lady, that checked us in, would rather get back to texting,..."
- "Having worked for nine years and had Frontier service as long. They have Tech's that will add services to your billing and until you discover it they won't return any..."