Havertys Furniture - $5700 at Havertys gets you a dangerous glued-together dining set that falls apart
Update added by user Jan 26, 2013
Wanted to mention that when the table's pedestal leg first came apart, it was only held together by glue. No other fasteners kept it together...sheer lunacy and gross negligence on behalf of whoever built this dining set IMO.
Original review posted by user Jan 26, 2013
Bought a brand new dining room set (table, 6 chairs, china cabinet, table pad) at Atlanta Northpoint Havertys in 2000.
Years later, one of the table's pedestal legs split apart, causing one end of the table to fall to the ground! Thank goodness we weren't eating a Thanksgiving dinner on it and that nobody was hurt when it happened. I repaired it myself by bolting the broken pieces together. Observe in a photo that another split is forming on a pedestal leg...I just discovered that b/c I took pictures to document this...jeez, thank goodness that didn't fail over our last Thanksgiving dinner!
Then just a few weeks ago a trim piece from the china cabinet fell off all by itself. Again, the piece was only held by glue. At least that wasn't a load-bearing piece where someone could get hurt.
But then today my 8-month pregnant wife was getting up out of a chair, when one of the back legs split apart. Holy ***! Thank goodness she caught herself just in time and didn't injure herself or our unborn baby. Looking at the photo, you can see where that is not splintered wood, it is a cleanly defined manufacturing splice that is only held together with glue.
I've never seen this before...who the *** glues chair legs together?? Especially in a pricy dining room set! Looking at all of the other chair legs, many of them are the same. In the photo where I'm pointing, you can see one leg with multiple seams.
This dining set is nothing but dangerous, maybe even deadly! My pregnant wife was in a position where she could have hit the back of her head on the sharp corner of the china cabinet, had she not caught herself in time.
I was so mad that I threw all our other Haverty's furniture (a pricey sofa table and coffee table) out the back door and broke them to smithereens. I would do the same to the dining set if I could do so on my own.
When we first bought this set, we expected it to last us a lifetime. Now we want this dangerous *** out of our house ASAP.
As I typed this, this website showed an advertisement for Havertys at the top. Thanks for the salt in the wound.
My Havertys invoice number is 1412274 dated 4/29/00 and we have the same contact info, if someone from Havertys wants to contact us.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
You May Also Like
- "Service tech agrees with customer that table is damaged and also is Manchester loveseat and lamp. The only reason Havertys accepted returning the lamp is because the victim called Pacific..."
- "So disappointed with the company Fathead, all over there site they claim their walls clings remove easily and WON'T DAMAGE WALLS! Had this happen today when removing them (there are..."
- "KraftMaid APC "All Plywood Construction" is a true misnomer. The backs of the cabinets are made from a combination of strips of plywood (for wall attachment) and a sheet of..."
- "You know, there are good website hosting companies out there, there are average, there are bad... and then there are outright thieves. I am not talking about the: "Oh, they..."
- "A caution to anyone shipping UPS. When you take your packages to a UPS store be sure to stand there and read EVERY LINE of the paper they give you...."
- "I went to Aspen Dental to get dental services, I asked to have my tooth extracted one of the Dentist said I needed to have a Root Canal. I said..."
- "I have had 2 UP2 trackers in less than 1 year.When the band tore, the company..."
- "I took my dog in for grooming. They usually cut her ears on the length and brush it. This time chunks of her hair were still coming out while I..."
- "I have the facial and body combination "wand" and the things WILL NOT STOP BEEPING! The purple (body) one started off this way and now it won't even charge to..."